How to find apartment rent market value for calculation of NYC child support

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

A father paying child support is a super and gets free rent. It is counted as income based on the value of his apartment.

However, he is low balling the market value. How could we get our own figure as to how much rent his apartment would go for, and not be basing it on his own figure given?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . A real estate appraiser can probably help you with this. They should be able to do a market analysis and compare rents of other similar apartments/buildings in the area. You will have to call the appraiser as an expert witness to admit the report into evidence unless he agrees. You may want to consider hiring an attorney to do the hearing

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This situation is best suited for a real estate agent. Locate an agent in your area. There are several online resources such as to help find realtors in your area.

  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Any real estate agent in the area can give you an idea of what the fair market rent would be. You can also try to see what apartments in the building rent for.

    I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

    This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Related Topics

Determining child support payments

State laws differ in how to determine child support, but usually consider factors like the child's needs (educational, medical, etc.) and both parents' incomes.

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,139 answers this week

3,755 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,139 answers this week

3,755 attorneys answering