How to find a good family law attorney to practice in my area?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brunswick, GA

From my experience there are only a handful of lawyers that practice family law in Camden County. I am not happy with the lawyer I used for my divorce case, nor the lawyer my ex-wife used. I don't have many other options who will practice in my area. We have a pretty messy case regarding child support and custody, etc. that I want to fight for. What are my options? I have heard that judges frown upon lawyers from other areas of the state and you usually aren't as successful as you would be if you used a local lawyer. Any opinions on this are much appreciated.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

1

Answered . There is an advantage to using local counsel. They know the courts and the procedures and that helps. Additionally, when you pay by the hour, paying someone to drive a few hours is a huge added cost. Neighboring counties, when you're in a small county like yours, are a great answer.

There are quite a few attorneys in Brunswick and St. Simons that practice in Camden. Check there. Waycross also has a lot of lawyers and is within an hour of where you are. So draw a slightly bigger circle and you will have almost too many lawyers to choose from.