How to find a good family law attorney to practice in my area?

Brunswick, GA |

From my experience there are only a handful of lawyers that practice family law in Camden County. I am not happy with the lawyer I used for my divorce case, nor the lawyer my ex-wife used. I don't have many other options who will practice in my area. We have a pretty messy case regarding child support and custody, etc. that I want to fight for. What are my options? I have heard that judges frown upon lawyers from other areas of the state and you usually aren't as successful as you would be if you used a local lawyer. Any opinions on this are much appreciated.

1. There is an advantage to using local counsel. They know the courts and the procedures and that helps. Additionally, when you pay by the hour, paying someone to drive a few hours is a huge added cost. Neighboring counties, when you're in a small county like yours, are a great answer.

There are quite a few attorneys in Brunswick and St. Simons that practice in Camden. Check there. Waycross also has a lot of lawyers and is within an hour of where you are. So draw a slightly bigger circle and you will have almost too many lawyers to choose from.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.