How to find a family lawyer in a high conflict case? Possibly Pro Bono?

Asked 12 months ago - Houston, TX

My wealthy ex husband has been filing law suits on me in family court since 2006 to keep control of me, using the children as tools. Law suits then never went anywhere but I was always having to pay a lawyer not knowing he really wasn't going to peruse anything. He even filed in criminal court and it was dismissed. last year he filed for custody and the trial now is set for December. How do I find a good lawyer Pro Bono? I have a lot of evidence against him and the Women's Center is trying to help me find a lawyer too; they will testify and have told me my case is unbelievable that I can not find proper representation to help our children.

1. Fran Brochstein

3

1

Answered . Pro bono services are backed up for months. You should have contacted them 6-9 months ago. Their wait lists are really long. I doubt you can have an attorney by December trial date. But go ahead and call them.

I'd look on this website for a family law attorney in the Houston area. This is the best website that I'm aware of for the public to locate experienced family law attorneys in the State of Texas. You can read people's answers and find one that you "connect" with and feel comfortable with.

Many attorneys offer a free consultation either by phone or in person.

As I'm sure you are aware, a board certified attorney will be more expensive, so you probably need to avoid contacting those attorneys and wasting your time and energy. You need to look for non-board certified attorneys that have a family law practice of 75% or more with many years of experience.

You can also go to the courthouse on a Monday and/or Tuesday morning around 9am and go into the courtrooms and actually watch attorneys in action to see if you observe any that you might like. Get their business cards and then call them for an appointment.

The Women's Center is wonderful -- but you've waited until the last minute to find an attorney for a December trial. You are in "crunch" time. You are probably not going to find a lot of attorneys willing to accept your "high conflict case" very attractive this late in the game & it appears you have no money to pay them. Most attorneys have a lot of office overhead expenses and lots of clients complaining that they have no money and every client feels that their case is "compelling" -- I get a phone call like yours on a weekly basis! (Unfortunately, your story is just not very unusual to an experienced family law attorney.)

2. Mark Allen Land

3

Answered . You are in a difficult spot.

I have included a link below to a page from the Texas Bar on how to find a pro bono lawyer.

3. Judy A. Kurth Dougherty

3

Answered . Depending on your income, Lone Star and Volunteer Lawyers can help. You could try to talk with the Legal Aid Clinics at the law schools.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

4

Answered . Tough to get an attorney in a high conflict divorce to work for free. Your best bet is your local legal services or someone who believes that the judge will award you attorney fees from your wealthy ex-husband. This is going to take a lot of time, money, and energy from any attorney's regular practice.

5. Rachel Ambler

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you can get a pro bono through one of The law schools. But, you need a really good lawyer, one who will go after your ex to pay your attorney fees. In Houston, I suggest you call Joe Indelicato or Randy Wilhite.