How to fill out the I-864 if my petitioner is unemployed and her husband does not file taxes.

Brooklyn, NY |

My petitioner is unemployed and her husband does not file taxes BUT I have a joint sponsor who meet the poverty guidelines. When filling out the form I-864 , should I just check off unemployed? Is it required that she provided information from someone else in the household?

You will need a joint-sponsor to do an additional I=864.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

I already have one. My question was do I just to to check off that my petitioner is unemployed? Do I need a submit a letter statiing why she is unable to submit her tax return forms???

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

"You" don't check anything. She must complete and sign the form. Don't put her into a position in which she tells someone at immigration that she didn't fill in the form herself. She needs to check the boxes that are true and correct. Yes, occasionally we get letters from a tax preparer verifying the lack of a need to file. A 'letter' from the person herself isn't of much value.

Get a joint sponsor.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I have one. I need to know how to fill out the I 864 for the petitioner if she is unemployed

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Sorry. Yes, check "unemployed".

Do I have to submit a letter or anything.

When completing immigration forms, one must always be truthful.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You will be ok. The joint sponsor will need to fill out I-864 form.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

The petitioner still has to file Form I-864 but will state $0 for income. You still need to get a joint sponsor on the I-864.

Tax law topics