How to file with Supreme Court? How many days do I have to file after the court of opinion?

Asked about 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

My case was heard on Appeal Court and the court of opinion was posted on December 4 2012. How many days do I have to file with the Supreme Court? Can I file myself and then hire a lawyer furter date. Two judges affirmed the trial court's decision and one judge dissented by separate opinion

1. Rebecca K. Watts

Pro

2

1

Answered . The Notice of Appeal to the Supreme Court has to be filed within 15 days of the date the mandate issues from the Court of Appeals. The Court of Appeals issues its opinion on a certain day, but the opinion is not completely official until there is a "mandate" which occurs many days later. According to the NC Appellate Court's website, for NC Court of Appeals opinions that came out on December 4, the mandate will issue on December 27, 2012. So, you have 15 days from that day to file the Notice of Appeal. But, it is usually a good idea to not wait until the last day in case there is a problem with date calculation. I would advise filing the Notice of Appeal as soon as possible after the mandate issues. This is not something that you should try to do on your own. There are too many deadlines and certain things that have to be done in a certain order and if you miss one then you are finished. Since you had a dissent in the Court of Appeals, you have an appeal as of right to the Supreme Court and you don't want to waste that by missing a deadline.