How to file suit against a business for deceptive pricing under the Unfair Business Practices in California. 17200

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I entered into agreement with a warehouse provider in California after I agreed with the owner the rates for processing orders (fulfillment). Once I received my first invoice I have found that he had charged me totally different to what was agreed (it's complicated) He claimed I was confused about the pricing structure but I have been over charged $1200 in only 10 days work. Now I have to pay to ship my goods elsewhere but the owner will not release goods that belong to me until he gets 100% of what he is charging (extortion?) He does not have POA of my stock but I cannot operate my business without it. I have sent him a wire for the funds he is demanding but he has yet to release them. How can I file suit for deceptive business practice and $1000 worth of additional costs incured

1. Charles Richard Perry

Pro

2

1

Answered . The process for filing a lawsuit under B&PC Section 17200 is the same for any other type of lawsuit. It involves the preparation of a summons and complaint, the filing of the complaint and issuance of the summons, and the payment of the filing fee. The complaint is a document that must be drafted by hand -- it is not simply a form to be filled out.

I strongly suggest you meet with a lawyer to help you with this process, to make sure you indeed have a viable claim under that statute, and to see whatever other claims you may have. There are many fine business litigators on AVVO that can help you.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . This is a great deal more complicated than is practical to handle as a pro per. You will need an attorney for any realistic possibility of success in this dispute.

3. Michael Charles Doland

1

1

Answered . Unfair business practices (Business and Professions Code Section 17200 and following) provide for injunctive relief but not damages. It appears from your facts that you have a breach of contract case and perhaps, and difficult to prove, a fraud case for intentional misrepresentation.

4. William Nicholas Blasser

Pro

Answered . You will need to prepare and file a summons and complaint for violation of 17200, breach of contract and potentially other theories such as fraud by way of a false promise. I don't recommend representing yourself for claims like that...while you might save a little money up front it will likely cost you dearly as the case progresses. Give me a call if you'd like to schedule a free consultation.

Cordially,

William Blasser