How to file slander lawsuit pro se?

Jacksonville, FL |

I would like to file a lawsuit for slander/libel. The evidence is clear. Here is the issue. I would like to do it pro se. I am not expecting to get anything out of the lawsuit just the shock factor of actually filing in hopes the slander/libel will cease. I was hoping to file small claims but upon significant research I have found you can't do that for slander. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. I highly recommend taking another course of action to get the behavior to stop. Instead of spending $300-400 in small claims court to obtain "shock factor", I may consider hiring an attorney to write a simple cease and desist demand letter to the offending party. The demand letter will most likely be less expensive and probably has a better chance of helping to obtain the desired results. Best of Luck.

www.krrlaw.com

FOR A FREE 20 MINUTE INITIAL TELEPHONE CONSULTATION CALL 904-309-8461 NOTHING IN THIS ANSWER IS INTENDED TO CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP NOR SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A SUBSTITUTE FOR AN IN PERSON CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY/THIS ANSWER IS NOT INTENDED TO BE TAKEN AS LEGAL ADVICE, ALL PARTIES POSTING QUESTIONS ARE HIGHLY ADVISED TO IMMEDIATELY SEEK COUNSEL TO REMEDY THEIR LEGAL PROBLEMS. "THE HIRING OF A LAWYER IS AN IMPORTANT DECISIONS THAT SHOULD NOT SOLELY BE BASED UPON ADVERTISEMENTS, BEFORE YOU DECIDE ASK FOR FREE WRITTEN INFORMATION REGARDING OUR QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE" Irving &Reilly, P.L. 3733 University Blvd., Suite 212 Jacksonville, Fl. 32217

2. I hate the idea of threats which one does not intend to follow through on. The cease and desis letter is a good idea if you intend and do file suit if the behavior does not change. If you are not particularly interested in funds, you can always negotiate a resolution addressing that issue. But my view of threatening a law suit and no intention to follow up is based on the idea that carrying an unloaded gun for protection is not only useless but also dangerous.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

3. To do what you would like to do in court, you would need to file in the Circuit Court where there is unlimited monetary and equitable jurisdiction. However, since you don't expect to get anything out of this lawsuit, you would be paying a lot for "shock" value. For the same or less money than the filing fee and service costs, I am sure you could retain an attorney to write a cease and desist letter on the attorney's stationary, threatening future possible litigation if the person does not stop slandering you. I bet that does the trick.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.