How to file I 589?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I and my partner moved to the US six months ago, and we married in NYC. We are a gay couple. We are preparing document to apply for asylum, and we are confused if we should file separate forms I 589 or just one.

1. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . Since the Department of Homeland Security does not recognize gay couples as married, you must file separately.

2. Gintare Grigaite

3

Answered . For now, DOMA is the law, which means that Federal government does not recognize your marriage. Therefore, as of now, you would be required to file two separate applications, if you qualify. Make sure you have an experienced immigration lawyer to represent you.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . Since Federal does not recognize gay marriages, each of you must file his/her individual Asylum application.

4. Norma Lorenzo

2

Answered . Hi hope that you are well. Unfortunately, you will need to file separate forms. Good Luck!