How to file for abandonment in Georgia?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dalton, GA

I married my husband Sept 23 2011 . . I found out I was pregnant at the end of November and then he left on Jan 8 2012 . I heard from him in June saying he wanted nothing to do with me and he didn't think the baby was him ( which he is ) and he had his girlfriend write me on face book telling me the same thing . my son was born July 25 , 2012 and he is almost 7 months old . What do i need to do to file for abandonment and get mine and my sons last name changed ?

1. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

3

Answered . You need to get a divorce. In addition you can seek a warrant for his arrest for abandonment, which is a criminal charge. To seek the warrant you must go to the magistrate in the county where you live. Please feel free to give my office a call if you need further assistance.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033
    404-636-6616

2. Anthony M. Zezima

Pro

3

Answered . You can pursue an abandonment warrant at any time to collect child support. However, that will not change your name or your son's name. You should consider filing for divorce. You may be able to reach a settlement that satisfies your needs and gives you what you want.

3. Jean O'Neil Supnick

3

Answered . Although filing for an abandonment warrant is something you may certainly pursue, involving criminal issues along with an imminent divorce only makes the situation worse. You may file for divorce on the grounds of desertion (or any other grounds) and still get an order providing for child support. You may also request a name change pursuant to the divorce, but whether the child's last name gets changed is based on the facts and whether it would be in the child's best interest. If by some chance your husband decides to be involved in the child's life, a nasty history between the two of you would only hurt your child in the long run. It would serve you well to speak with a family law attorney in your area to figure out the best steps to take in your case. Good luck!

4. David B Pittman

Pro

Answered . File for divorce.