Skip to main content

How to File an Uncontested Divorce in California without a Lawyer?

Fresno, CA |

If husband agrees on everything, how would I proceed, do I take the paperwork to him before filing? What are the steps?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Go to your local Superior Court's self-help clinic for assistance from a volunteer attorney preparing your papers for filing and advising you of the Declaration of Disclosure process and the procedures and documents needed to file a Stipulated Judgment. You would best at least consult with an experienced Family Law Attorney to evaluate the proposed settlement that you have with your husband.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns


There are two ways that you can proceed: (1) you file the petition, he doesn't respond, come to an agreement, and proceed by default; or (2) you file, he responds, you come to an agreement, and file your MSA with the Judgment.


I agree with Attorney Conviser. Also, if you were married less than five years and do not have any children you might want to Google JC form FL-810 and see if you satisfy the other requirements for a summary dissolution. It is a streamlined procedure for short-term marriages that do not have a lot of issues.


I would ask the local clerk at the courthouse.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer