How to file Affidavit of Support I-864 with joint (only) sponsor.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Myers, FL

I am the US citizen spouse who petitioned for my husband, the intending immigrant. I am a stay at home mother, who has not worked in 6 years, so obviously, I have no income to put down for the I-864. My husband and I have two children. My mother has agreed to be the sponsor for my husband. She does not live with us. Do we fill out only one I-864, with her information as the sponsor? How does this work for household size, if she does not live with us? As the original I-130 petitioner, do I have to fill out an I-864 as well, even though I do not work? thank you

1. 7

1

Answered . You still need to file I-864 while your mother would file I-864A. I would strongly suggest you work with a qualified immigration attorney to petition for your spouse.

2. 8

1

Answered . Even though you do not work, as sponsor, you will complete an I-864. Your mother will complete one also as Co-Sponsor. Do consult an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

3. 8

Answered . You must file an I-864 regardless of your income. If your income is not enough, then you must find a co-sponsor to also file an I-864.

4. 5

1

Best Answer

Answered . You file two. One for you with no income and one for the mother. if your husband worked with enough income and lived with you at least last 6 months, you do not need the mother. He can sponsor himself by filing I-864A

5. 5

1

Answered . You and your mother each file separate I864s. If your husband has been working legally he may be able to file I864a and you use his income.