How to file a Will in Wills County?

Plainfield, IL |

We are resident of Will County.We (me and my wife) have made a will as well as a Living Trust. Do we need to file one or both these documents in Will County or any such Record office. Also is there a Time Limit?
We both are Alive.

No I don't believe your will needs to be recorded or authenticated until same is the subject of a Probate proceeding.

You should definitely consider consulting an attorney to make certain there are no issues when the time comes to Probate your estate.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Wills in Illinois need to be filed upon death, whether or not they are subject to probate proceedings.

Wills are to be filed upon death. You do not need to file them now. The place to file your Wil in Will County is at the Clerk of the Circuit Court - River Valley Justice Center, 3800 McDonough Street, Joliet. I believe the clerk will also accept Will filings at the main building - 14 W. Jefferson St, Joiliet.

You mentioned you "made" a Will. Hopefully you each have Wills and they were prepared and witnessed properly.

In addition to the other posted answers-you should have your documents reviewed and also look into power of attorneys, health care surrogates, living wills and living trusts.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Be sure you let your personal representative (or the alternate executor in the event your personal representative is your spouse) where the original will is kept for safekeeping. A will is no good if it cannot be located.

Wills are not recorded until and unless you die. Hopefully you employed legal counsel to create the documents. If so, I encourage you to sit and discuss all your queries with him/her.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

Wills and estates topics