How to file a will in washington state (clark county)

Vancouver, WA |

What form and what court do I need to file in?

I think I found my information at http://www.wa-probate.com/

1. Filing a will is an easy process. Go to the Clark County Superior Court Clerk (located at 1200 Franklin Street, Vancouver, WA 98660), and bring the original Last Will and Testament with you (keep a copy for your records). If all you are doing is filing the Will, and not opening a probate--there is a $20 fee to file the Will.

If you are going to initiate a probate action, then you should speak with a knowledgeable probate attorney to assist you in preparing the necessary pleadings to have a personal representative appointed. If you are not sure whether you need to initiate probate, I would recommend speaking with a probate attorney who can help you analyze your specific situation.

The above response is commentary regarding a general legal question. It is not intended to be legal advice specific to the reader's individual situation nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between the author and any reader. You are encouraged to contact a qualified and knowledgeable attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

2. I agree with Mr. Smith. Also, if you are filing a probate, you will need to follow a couple extra steps and the filing fee will be higher.

www.wa-probate.com is a good self-help website. However, for an estate of any real value, it is usually in your best interest to hire an attorney to probate an estate.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit www.justinelderlaw.com.

Wills and estates topics