How to file a review with DMV challenging a suspended license?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Victorville, CA

I recieved 2 DUI's in PA, one in '04 and one in '05....I had my license reinstated in VA in 2007....I moved to CA and changed my license over at DMV with no problem...I then received a notice from DMV saying my license is suspended and I must take an 18 month there a way around this since the DUI's are so old and in another state...?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jessica Ruth Towne


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Driving is a privilege and not a right. You have to comply with CA rules if you want a CA license, even if your prior DUIs are from other states. I would suggest that you hire a CA attorney to explain the requirement for you and to research a way you can legally avoid the class. Otherwise, if you want a CA license, you have to do what CA wants. When I know a client of mine is about to move out of state, I remind them to research what impact their GA driving history might have on their ability to get a license in their new home state. Sometimes it makes a big difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,736 answers this week

3,156 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,736 answers this week

3,156 attorneys answering