Skip to main content

How to file a request to set case for trial-Unlawful Detainer

Sherman Oaks, CA |

I am a tenant that file the Unlawful Detainer in August 11 regarding an eviction. I received a request to set case for trial unlawful detainer on Sep 9 by mail. I don't know what I should do. Should i go to the clerks and file to set the date. I am confused because when i file the unlawful detainer I was told that i was going to be receiving the trial date by mail not request a trial date.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question is a little confusing as it is landlord's that file unlawful detainer complaints and it is the landlord that serves and files the Request to Set Case for Trial. Assuming the landlord served that on you, that means the Court will be setting a trial date assuming everything is in order and sending you and the landlord a notice by mail as to when the trial will be set. So what you were told is generally right and you can wait for the Court to let you know when the trial is.

Getting an attorney will be helpful if you can afford one.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Your trial will be held in Van Nuys. In most courts, you can file a "Counter-Request to Set Case for Trial," but in Van Nuys, they just set a trial when the first request comes in, so there's no need to file a counter-request. If you want a JURY TRIAL, be sure to post fees of $150 five days before the trial date.

I second the idea that you retain an attorney to represent you.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer