Skip to main content

How to file a motion for emergency for temporary custody in gwinnett county?

Duluth, GA |

need to have joint custody between mother and father for our son to attend school and play sports, this is noncontested and no issues but strictly for school, needed immediately

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If this is something that both parents agree to (hence, "uncontested"), then it is not an emergency. However, if you need something in writing prior to school beginning next week that changes custody to a parent in Gwinnett, and custody is presently with a parent not in Gwinnett, that can be done quickly if both parents are available to sign all necessary papers. Call to discuss the cost of this transaction. Do not attempt this without an attorney.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.


A case such as this is not considered an emergency. However, if both parties agree on custody, visitation and support an uncontested case can be quickly drafted, filed within days, and finalized in about a month. This is NOT a do it yourself project and you need counsel.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer