Skip to main content

How to file a defense/answer to contempt charges in a divorce case, Henry Cty GA

Mcdonough, GA |
Filed under: Divorce

I filed for divorce in Henry Cty, Ga- recently we went to court over a tpo I placed on him- settled out of court, he has an attny, I'm pro se- he recently filed contempt charges on me based on alot of lies- accusing me of selling marital property- under what circumstances can a spouse sell anything? I am currently living in the marital residence and am broke! I have custody of our daughter whos also witnessed him using drugs- alot of the stuff he claims I sold was gone due to this- I need a format of some kind to help me file a response PLEASE.

Attorney Answers 3


You don't need forms. You need a lawyer. You are way over your head, and misfiling things could easily make a disaster worse. (Read the standing order that was given to you by the clerk when you filed the divorce. You should have read it that day. It prohibited you from selling anything, so you have an additional serious problem).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


Best counsel in GA


I am sorry that you are going through this. Attny Ashman gave you the best advice, please retain a local attny, you have the orders from the court and they are the guide, however you need a professional to help you properly. I hope that things work out and take good care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

7 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues and strongly recommend that you seek an experienced divorce attorney to help you ASAP. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics