How to file a complaint against DA and public defender

Madison, WI |
Filed under: Professional ethics

would like to get more information about filling a complaint against the public defender and DA currently assigned to my case. i have kind of been feeling lately my case being treated unfairly many un returned phone calls and running me in circles, assigned me attorney that refuses to represent members of my family! which could be understandable. we had pre-trial and agreed to terms on the case which would happen aslong as i did my part! (which i have had no problem doing! do crime do time) but now my attorney tells me that even though i have did my part the terms we agreed to no longer stands any ground. i asked my attorney for copy of the charges and he immediatly got very angry told me "he didnt know who the f^%k i thought i was" etc... however much more profanity???

Nothing in what you have written here will support a complaint against your attorney for unprofessional conduct. Your attorney is not obligated to represent members of your family -- and, as a public defender, your attorney may not do so unless appointed to represent by the court. And there may be legal reasons why the public defender cannot be appointed for any of your family members.

And the DA? You want to complain about the DA for what? Because you "have kind of been feeling lately my case being treated unfairly." My friend, the DA is not the place where you get your fairness. The DA is the prosecution -- the one who is trying to put you in jail. And complaints for professional misconduct need to be based on something more credible than you "feeling" things haven't been "fair" lately.

As for the profanity, I am not surprised. Your attitude would certainly account for that.

You won't help yourself or your case by complaining about these attorneys. Just so you know.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

My attitude? If he can't control himself in a professional manner maybe he need different career! Thanks for all your help avvo much appreciated!

Your right me or you don't decide if he violated the bars code of ethics that's for them to decide as the complaint has already been filed! Thanks though!

You can complain to the Public Defender's Office and to the elected District Attorney, Mr. Ozanne, but you'll need to articulate your complaint much more thoroughly than here.

The PD does not represent your family, but you. He/she is very busy and has to prioritize work to get the best result for the client. Sit down and talk, calmly, with your PD. In Wisconsin you have the right to change appointed counsel, once, with leave of the judge. I do not recommend doing this.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics