How to fight corruption of our public officials?

Cleveland, OH |

Every lawyer on here knows there are crooked and corrupt judges and prosecutors. They know if they report a prosecutor or judge, that there will be severe consequences such as future retribution or consequences to there law license. Often times payouts occur and judges are bribed or prosecutors destroy evidence, or manipulate Juries or Grand Jury proceedings. They do all kinds of stuff, and they know they have impunity because the system has "safeguards" that in the event they are caught doing something wrong, they are protected, often by law enforcement, protected by ethic commissions. How does an individual defendant, without all the money the government has to fight corruption, bring this to court, when the corruption goes way up?

1. Your perception of the judicial system is remarkably inaccurate.

We can be reached at 215-545-2201. Our firm has lawyers licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and in the Federal Courts of those states. The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

2. Your conspiracy theory is not correct, and is a total misrepresentation of our system of justice. I can't imagine you are going to find any attorneys who agree with your assertions regarding bribes, payouts, destruction of evidence or manipulation of juries. The legal system may have flaws, but the judges and prosecutors I have know have all been honest, hard working and underappreciated for all that they do.

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. You may count me among the lawyers who do no not know or believe that there are large numbers of corrupt judges and prosecutors. Are there some? Yes. They are very rare, in my experience. The one judge I know of in Rhode Island who was caught accepting a bribe many years ago was severely punished with a long prison term, public humiliation, and disbarment. More recently a defense attorney received a lengthy sentence for bribing a witness. But these are the only examples I can remember in over 20 years of practice.

I have seen many public officials go to jail for bribery or corrupt behavior, but I do not see it that often with lawyer and judges in the courts. As I said, it is rare.

Most lawyers, on both sides of the bar, are dedicated to doing the right thing for their client. Most judges want to do the same, and try very hard to be fair. What irritates me is when people try to hire lawyers while suggesting that they can bribe a prosecutor or judge. If that is your perception, you are fooling yourself. And if any attorney suggests to you that they can "work the system" or that they have an "in" with a prosecutor or judge, run, don't walk, out of that attorney's office.

The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

4. One of many conspiracy theories out there. Has some if what you described happened somewhere, sometime Probably.

Is it widespread? Certainly not,

Has it happened to someone you know? None here can say, you provided no facts to substantiate anything.

FWIW, some defendants find if they take on the role of 'victim of the system', they can avoid much of the 'guilt' associated with responsibility for their acts'. That's a more likely scenario IMHO.

To answer your question directly-- a lawyer is the best defense to the systems biases, prejudices, and abuses.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

5. This is my 41st year practicing law. I have known of two such matters in all that career. One was a nearby case of prosecutorial misconduct and the other was an attorney bribing a witness. The lawyer was disgraced, disbarred and spent time in prison. The DA lost his law license, resigned a judgeship and has been humiliated on national TV several times.

I have experienced a legal system such as that described by you. It was in Nigeria, thirty five years ago. It does not exist here. The very people who protect your freedom to make such astounding accusations are lawyers and judges. You are free here to avail yourself of their services.

6. In my 40+ years of practice I have seen lots of wrong-headed decision-making; I have seen many errors and too many to count instances of laziness and lack of preparation, and I have seen many attorneys and judges in way over their heads intellectually. I have seen judges who lack appropriate judicial temperament, and attorneys whose egos have incapacitated their reasoning processes.

But I have seen "corruption" and criminal activity just twice in all those years. My view is that is a fairly high standard, and one that any profession can be proud of.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.