How to fight a domestic violence charge in family court?

Asked 11 months ago - Paducah, KY

I just recent lost custody of my little boy(6 months) after raising him on my own since he was born. the father used a claim of a domestic against me from a former relation. what can I do to try and get 50/50 equal time sharing.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeffery Paul Alford

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The facts you raise in your question are not enough to directly answer this question. However, a custody determination in domestic violence court does not necessarily preclude filing of an action in circuit court. If you have already had a hearing in circuit or paternity court on custody, your only recourse may be to file an appeal. If you wish to do that, you must act quickly as the time in which to file an appeal is very limited.

  2. Mark O Cottle

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sorry to hear that. You need to hire an attorney. You should look up you state law so you clearly know the factors of custody. You need to find out when you can seek a modification of parenting time.

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Domestic violence and child custody

Any domestic violence convictions can make a child custody case more difficult, since the court takes into account past convictions when deciding custody.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,569 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,569 answers this week

3,395 attorneys answering