Skip to main content

How to extend my R1 with a merged church?

Denver, CO |

I am currently under R-1 at a Chinese church. After a long talk with an American Church about the possibility to merge, on June 24 both congregations have passed the votes to merge. The merger on the paper (legally) should take place in 90 days. However, since I am hired by the Chinese church and once the churches merge, my church will decease legally.
What should I do for my situation?
1. Do I need to apply for new employer?
2. How about during the application/waiting period of time, my petition is not yet approved and my church CCAID deceased legally, what are the consequences? Is there a way to work with this?
3. My current R-1 will expire April 2013. I never extend it in the past.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Your new church needs to file for an R-1

    Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. You really need to have an attorney look at all the documents in relation thereto. This is too case specific.

  3. The new church needs to file.

    Please be smart enough to pay an immigration lawyer for a consultation ... and coordination with the new church's business attorney.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law -

    Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
    Do not rely completely on information you get on any website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking action.

    Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or

    NOTE: If you are low income go here: or

    Capriotti International Law

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  4. It is highly recommended that you contact an immigration attorney to review your situation, either my office or one of my colleagues.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics