How to evict for a month to month when he is 3 months behind.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I have been reading up on evictition and needed some help. My tenant is 3 months behind. This was an oral agreement month to month. Since he is so far behind on his rent, can I give him a 5 day notice or do i have to do a 30 day notice? I read somewhere I must do 30 days but I could be wrong. Does the notice i send him have to notarized and served by a process server? Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Emma Lee Scott

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The first point needing clarification here is that the expiration of any notice you issue simply gives you the right to file an eviction lawsuit against the tenant if they have not already left the property. The expiration of the notice alone does not give you the right to evict. You must file suit!

    If he has not paid rent under a month to month arrangement, you can issue a 5-day notice for nonpayment of rent. However, when you file the suit and go to court you will be required to prove the existence of this agreement, which likely falls outside of the statute of frauds (this means such an agreement must be in writing in most cases).

    Your best course of action in this case is to issue a 30 day notice of lease termination to your tenant. The 30-day notice allows you to terminate a month to month agreement for any reason, not just for a breach. When it expires, you will have a solid eviction lawsuit to pursue if the tenant has not already vacated.

    The city and state statutes have very specific notice provisions, so this is best handled by an attorney.

    Good luck!

    This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client... more
  2. Joshua Adam Nesser

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Because the issue is the failure to pay rent, a five-day notice is sufficient. The notice does not need to be notarized or served by a special process server. However, so that you have a record of when it was sent and received, it may be best to send one copy via regular mail and one copy via certified mail with a return-receipt requested.

  3. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Reading up on forcible entry and detainer is not sufficient if you do not understand it and/or do not know what you are doing. You would be well advised to hire an experienced eviction attorney. If you attempt to do this on your own and do it wrong, you will have wasted a great deal of time and money. Do yourself a favor and hire a lawyer.

Related Topics

Notice to vacate property

A notice to vacate is a written notice from a landlord telling a tenant to move by a certain date. Often you'll have 30 days to leave, but state laws vary.

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering