How to do background check in New York City?

Floral Park, NY |

I have started a small company in New York and want to do background check of few people before hiring them in my company. Can someone please tell me how do I do that? If someone's arrest record has been sealed, will I be able to see it? I'll really appreciate the answer. Thanks!

1. You won't see a sealed record. There are many companies you can find on-line. The Office of Court Administration lets you do a check for New York by name and date of birth but it does not pick up any aliases and I don't think you can ask a potential employee for his or her date of birth. There are companies that do the checks by fingerprints.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. There are a lot of companies in this area who will do these background / criminal conviction checks for you on an as needed basis. The costs are probably cheaper than you think and it is worth speaking to a couple of different companies so you can get a handle on their services.

As you are aware the hiring of employees is one of the most difficult decisions that you can make. You want to take great care about who you hire to run your business. Running a background / criminal conviction check is a great first start in vetting your potential employees.

3. Many private investigative firms will perform background checks for a fee. Oftentimes they will agree to look further than simply criminal records, and they will also perform media checks and other searches.

4. There are private companies that can conduct background checks, although you will not likely have access to any sealed records.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/employattorney) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRicottaandMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Business topics