How to do background check in New York City?

Asked 11 months ago - Floral Park, NY

I have started a small company in New York and want to do background check of few people before hiring them in my company. Can someone please tell me how do I do that? If someone's arrest record has been sealed, will I be able to see it? I'll really appreciate the answer. Thanks!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Thomas J. Melanson


    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many private investigative firms will perform background checks for a fee. Oftentimes they will agree to look further than simply criminal records, and they will also perform media checks and other searches.

  2. Alexander Anthony Restaino

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are a lot of companies in this area who will do these background / criminal conviction checks for you on an as needed basis. The costs are probably cheaper than you think and it is worth speaking to a couple of different companies so you can get a handle on their services.

    As you are aware the hiring of employees is one of the most difficult decisions that you can make. You want to take great care about who you hire to run your business. Running a background / criminal conviction check is a great first start in vetting your potential employees.

  3. Thomas A. Ricotta


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are private companies that can conduct background checks, although you will not likely have access to any sealed records.

    This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any... more
  4. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You won't see a sealed record. There are many companies you can find on-line. The Office of Court Administration lets you do a check for New York by name and date of birth but it does not pick up any aliases and I don't think you can ask a potential employee for his or her date of birth. There are companies that do the checks by fingerprints.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,028 answers this week

3,186 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,028 answers this week

3,186 attorneys answering