How to do a background check if you are undocumented ? does immigration have anything to do with it?

I want to a few courses , I went to the school in here around me and they asking for some fee to do a background check , I came to this country 5 years ago on Visa but overstayed and never been arrested or in trouble, I am not sure ..should i sign the form they have at school and pay the fee and let them do the back ground check ? is this have anything to do with the immigration ?

Seattle, WA -

Barbara A Marcouiller

Barbara A Marcouiller

Immigration Attorney - Bellevue, WA

What type of school are you going to? I haven't heard of schools doing background checks on students before. I agree they are likely to check the fingerprints, so if you were never fingerprinted for immigration and you have no arrest, nothing should show up. I would wonder the purpose of the background check, since I believe it is an unusual request by a school of a student (not an employee). Undocumented persons are allowed to attend grade school and in WA under certain circumstances can attend public university at in-state tuition rates. It seems a strange request to me, and I'd want to know more information about the school and their purpose for doing the check.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

No, this type of background check does not have anything to do with immigration or your immigration status (or Lack thereof.)

It will only try to ascertain whether you have a criminal record or not, nothing else.