How to do a background check if you are undocumented ? does immigration have anything to do with it?

Seattle, WA |

I want to a few courses , I went to the school in here around me and they asking for some fee to do a background check , I came to this country 5 years ago on Visa but overstayed and never been arrested or in trouble, I am not sure ..should i sign the form they have at school and pay the fee and let them do the back ground check ? is this have anything to do with the immigration ?

What type of school are you going to? I haven't heard of schools doing background checks on students before. I agree they are likely to check the fingerprints, so if you were never fingerprinted for immigration and you have no arrest, nothing should show up. I would wonder the purpose of the background check, since I believe it is an unusual request by a school of a student (not an employee). Undocumented persons are allowed to attend grade school and in WA under certain circumstances can attend public university at in-state tuition rates. It seems a strange request to me, and I'd want to know more information about the school and their purpose for doing the check.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Phlebotomy training program and i was fingerprinted before by the immigration when i came visit back in 2002 and i left the country ,then i came back to visit in 2008 and been here since

Barbara A Marcouiller

Barbara A Marcouiller

Some phebotomy programs require a background check in order for you to do an externship in order to get the certificate. For example, if you are going through the program at Bellevue Community College, you will need the background check. If you go to: http://bellevuecollege.edu/health/hpro/phlebotomy.asp under Requirements, there is a link to Background Check. Look there. It appears they don't take fingerprints but only do a name check. Seriously, you should get more information about what you are doing and why before you do it. It depends on the program. If they aren't doing fingerprint check, but only name check you should be fine. No one can guarantee.

Awesome ,yes it's just name check . Can you just tell me what are those certain circumstances to attend a public university in WA ?

Barbara A Marcouiller

Barbara A Marcouiller

WA has a state law that allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates under certain circumstances. You can check online for HB-1079

Very nice, thank you .

No, this type of background check does not have anything to do with immigration or your immigration status (or Lack thereof.)

It will only try to ascertain whether you have a criminal record or not, nothing else.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Education law topics