Skip to main content

How to divide the financial assets and property after obtaining dissolution of marriage?

Romeoville, IL |

I wanted to see if there is a way to divide financial assets and property after obtaining a dissolution of marriage with grounds of desertion. The dissolution of marriage was obtained because the husband has left to another country and there is no contact with him however the judge wasn't able to separate the property because husband wasn't present. Can I get a lawyer to file a case to separate the financial assets? I just want to keep the house and currently I am going through modification but without the award letter from judge I cannot proceed any further. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


get a lawyer to file a case to separate the financial assets


The judge could not divide the assets because the court did not have a certain type of jurisdiction over your ex. If you do not believe your ex will ever come back, you are probably safe taking or dividing what you can. You need to speak with an attorney to learn how best to accomplish this, especially if certain items are title jointly.


It sounds to me like the judge has already refused to make any property divisions. Talk to a lawyer in person.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer