How to dissolve an out of state civil union in NY

Asked almost 3 years ago - New York, NY

What are the requirements needed to dissolve an out of state civil union in NY? Is it the same as a divorce? Can/Should there be a filing for legal separation first?

1. Howard A. Schwartz

Best Answer

Answered . I am not sure as to what the question is. If you have been married in another state, you can certainly get divorced in New York as long as the residency requirements are met. If you are not legally married, then there would be no need for a divorce. Much will depend on exactly what type of civil union there was, and what rights attach to it.

There would be no need under current laws to file for a legal separation first.

2. Gerry M. Wendrovsky

Pro

Answered . It may be that even if you are not married, you and your partner may need to enter into an agerement that separates your property. This can be done by any qualified attorney who practices matrimonial law.

Please be advised that this answer shall not constitute legal advice, or create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Jon Michael Probstein

Answered . Hello:

As always, do not construe posts as legal advice but as "attorney advertising" and you should always consult with a lawyer on any legal matter.

I would also suggest you retain counsel in the state that you had your civil union.