How to dismiss a prenuptial agreement

Asked almost 2 years ago - Saint Marys, OH

I've been married 13 years and both my husband and myself want the prenuptial agreement to be resolved

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do you mean dissolved as in no longer in effect? You would need to enter into an agreement undoing the prenup with the same formalities as the prenup was done with. It's not one of the things I would advise people to do on your own.

    For informational purposes only; not intended to, and does not, constitute legal advice or a legal opinion.
  2. Answered . I agree with my colleague, the prenup must be terminated with the same formalities (in writing, witnesses, etc.,) that it took to create the prenup. A lot of people think that if you just tear it up, that will suffice. What that will do is make a lot of little pieces of paper out of a few big ones, but it won't cancel the agreement. Someone has a copy of it somewhere and THAT is what will come out later on. Be sure that it is canceled in writing. DO NOT do this by yourself. This is a very technical document. Find a local lawyer on Avvo that does this kind of work. If you don't know one or can't find on, try Ms. Huffman, she will either be able to help you of find a good lawyer in your community that can.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE MARK IT SO. The answers provided by R. Russell O’Rourke, Attorney-at-Law... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,222 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,222 answers this week

3,795 attorneys answering