How to determine when the 2-year conditional status of a green card will expire

Miami, FL |

This is about my ex spouse's green card and since we are now divorced and he defrauded me, I am trying to figure out when his conditional status will expire. I do not have his card with me obviously, but I do know that when we were still married, the card arrived at the end of November. In fact, I guess the immigration forgot about us for the extra 3 months while w were awaiting for his residency to arrive. We had to call and remind them of us, after which he received the green card in mail in a few weeks after our call. Anyways, so the card arrived on November 29, but then a month later when my husband abandoned our marriage right away with his damn card, a letter arrived from the U.S.C.I.S. simply notifying that his I-130 was approved. I am a bit confused why they sent a letter saying it

that the green card (the i-130) was approved if it was obvious when h received the actual card in mail a month before that. So anyways, the card arrived on November 29, and at the end of December when my ex husband already took off, I received that letter, so my question is how to determine when his 2-year status will expire based on those dates I provided. If the card arrived on November 29, 2012 does it man that the 2 year period will expire on November 29, 2014........or should i count from the date when the immigration sent him the letter (a month later) simply notifying of the approval, which would make the expiration date December 23, 2014. So what I should be counting in making my determination....or I should perhaps ask at which point the immigration determines the approval of the card and sets the 2 year time-frame.

1. Your facts are confusing.

So, I'll answer the last part only ... yes, if the card arrived in 11/12, then it probably will expire in 11/14.

If you feel you have been defrauded, you can contact ICE: http://www.ice.gov/

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. I agree.

3. The expiration date is on the card itself.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.