Skip to main content

How to determine in which city the immigrant will have to attend the hearing for deportation

San Diego, CA |

is it determined in which city you initially married and filed for conditional green card or the current city in which you live assuming it has changed. What if you do not notify the immigration about the change of address, does it mean that the removal notice will go to the initial address where the immigrant lived with his wife assuming you fail to file for i-751 on time.

Attorney Answers 3


Your removal proceedings will be initiated in the immigration court that has jurisdiction over your last know address. The venue of the removal proceedings can be moved if you live in the jurisdiction of another immigration court upon a properly filed motion. It is in your best interest to keep USCIS apprised of your current address. It is very important that you appear for any and all hearings before the immigration court. Your failure to appear can result in your being ordered removed in your absence. I would encourage you to consult an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

1 comment

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


Hard to follow the question - but typically NTA is sent to a last known address and the hearings are held in the nearest court. Sometimes, if the person is detained and held by ICE, the hearings will be held in the Immigration Court closest to the detention center.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


the government will determine for you.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics