How to defend against small claims stating I damaged a wooden retaining wall.

The wooden retaining wall is 4 feet tall and a section is failing. Neighbor claims I damaged it by throwing cinder blocks against it. He took picture of cinder blocks next to wall but they were only sitting next to it.

Astoria, OR -

Attorney Answers (3)

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin

Family Law Attorney - Milwaukie, OR

This question was recently asked and answered in this thread:

The burden of proof is on the complaining party. They have an obligation to show that you caused the damage they allege, and the amount of harm it involved. You have the right to demand that they provide to you copies of any evidence they have, including testimony, by means of a deposition. They have the same rights against you.

You must file a response or the other side will win automatically. You must file this no later than 14 days after having been served with the complaint. If the amount of the claim is high enough, you can request that the case be moved to circuit court ("big-boy court", we call it, as opposed to the toddler's environment of small claims). You can then hire an attorney to handle the case for you. If you win, the plaintiff could be ordered to pay your attorney fees and costs. (Of course, if they have no assets to take, then this award won't mean much.) If you're stuck in small claims court, then you can't have an attorney representing you directly, but you can still consult with one in private for advice. This is a much better idea than asking for specific advice on the internet. This forum is not private. Your adversary could well be reading all this. So don't get into specifics. Talk to someone in private.

Please read the following notice:

Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
Troy Austin Pickard

Troy Austin Pickard

Criminal Defense Attorney - Portland, OR

You should get a lawyer to help you defend against this case. If your neighbor sues you, it will be up to him to prove his case - you won't need to prove your innocence.

But, there are a number of theories to consider:

1) You never threw any blocks against the wall;
2) The blocks didn't damage the wall;
3) The wall was already damaged;
4) It's not his wall

Any of those theories would be a partial or complete defense. A good lawyer can help you evaluate each theory to see whether you should argue it in court.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Litigation Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

You don't have a legal matter unless neighbor trades some kind if action. You have a neighborhood issue that is better resolved over a cup of coffee than a court.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and... more

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.