How to deal with a warrant that is over 10 years old for violating probation with a $25,000 fine

Asked 11 months ago - Glendale, CA

My question is for a friend.. About around 15 yrs. ago, he burglarized his ex girlfriends house. He took a beta player. He was convicted and dd the jail time.. He actually did more time then he was told... He then got out. He was placed on probation and given a fine to pay. But he knew if he stayed in California he would get into more trouble. So he left CA and moved to Las Vegas. Breaking his probation. Where he has lived with his family and has not be in any other trouble. He moved back to California with his family. And would like to deal with the warrant. Would like to turn himself in but doesn't have money for a lawyer... Another issuse is that he is here illegally but years ago did the paperwork for permanent residence. His wife is a resident and did paper work for citizenship. they have a child who was born in the USA. The warrant is for violation of probation and a $25,000 fine.

1. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

10

Answered . My colleagues are correct. You have multiple issues that have to be dealt with. You need a criminal attorney for the warrant and immigration attorney .

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  2. David Mark Wallin

9

Answered . As a Former Deputy District Attorney who has been doing these cases for 26 years, it sounds like your friend is in violation of his probation of a Felony Strike. This is a serious matter and needs to be dealt with very aggressively and, in my opinion, preparation is everything, in a case like your friends. He needs a law firm who has experience in these matters, and should contact an attorney immediately. I wish your friend well...................David

3. Brian K Wanerman

8

Answered . Get a lawyer.

4. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

8

Answered . He clearly needs a lawyer.

5. Ryan W Cummings

Pro

6

Answered . I understand coming up with money for an attorney can be expensive. But this fact scenario is very serious. Your friend has multiple issues: potential prison time, the large fine, and potential immigration issues. He needs to find an attorney that can assist him in criminal law and immigration.

6. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

4

Answered . He needs to get a lawyer to negotiate a surrender on the warrant and manage the consequences. If he already appeared in court, he may have already qualified for the public defender's services to assist with the surrender. But the warrant and his dire situation won't merely go away. He'll need to deal with it sooner or later. Best to do it on his own terms rather than get picked up.