How to convert my tourist Visa to Student Visa? Can I work on a student Visa?

Norwalk, CA |

I have a US tourist visa. I actually just came back home from a Visit to the US. I am a nurse and I applied for my state board. But the BRN wanted me to take more classes in the US. How is this possible? Can i apply to convert my tourist visa to Student Visa? While on Student Visa, Can i find a job to help me pay for my school? And does that mean i cannot leave the country like a GC holder? What should i file to be considered legal to stay in the US? Thank you.

You can apply for an F-1 visa if you have been admitted to a qualifying school and have a valid I-20. It is unlikely that you will be able to work.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You may apply for an F-1 visa. However, F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions.

There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. Your academic adviser can assist you with thus.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

To "convert" you need to first contact the college and see if they are qualified. If they are, the will "convert" for you. As to employment authorization, it all depends.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

You will need to file a change of status form after you get accepted into a school. Also, you will likely not be able to work off campus.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com