How to convert my tourist Visa to Student Visa? Can I work on a student Visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Norwalk, CA

I have a US tourist visa. I actually just came back home from a Visit to the US. I am a nurse and I applied for my state board. But the BRN wanted me to take more classes in the US. How is this possible? Can i apply to convert my tourist visa to Student Visa? While on Student Visa, Can i find a job to help me pay for my school? And does that mean i cannot leave the country like a GC holder? What should i file to be considered legal to stay in the US? Thank you.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

3

Answered . To "convert" you need to first contact the college and see if they are qualified. If they are, the will "convert" for you. As to employment authorization, it all depends.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . You can apply for an F-1 visa if you have been admitted to a qualifying school and have a valid I-20. It is unlikely that you will be able to work.

3. Alena Shautsova

Pro

3

2

Answered . You will need to file a change of status form after you get accepted into a school. Also, you will likely not be able to work off campus.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

1

Answered . You may apply for an F-1 visa. However, F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions.

There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. Your academic adviser can assist you with thus.