How to convert my tourist Visa to Student Visa? Can I work on a student Visa?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Norwalk, CA

I have a US tourist visa. I actually just came back home from a Visit to the US. I am a nurse and I applied for my state board. But the BRN wanted me to take more classes in the US. How is this possible? Can i apply to convert my tourist visa to Student Visa? While on Student Visa, Can i find a job to help me pay for my school? And does that mean i cannot leave the country like a GC holder? What should i file to be considered legal to stay in the US? Thank you.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . To "convert" you need to first contact the college and see if they are qualified. If they are, the will "convert" for you. As to employment authorization, it all depends.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can apply for an F-1 visa if you have been admitted to a qualifying school and have a valid I-20. It is unlikely that you will be able to work.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You will need to file a change of status form after you get accepted into a school. Also, you will likely not be able to work off campus.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  4. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You may apply for an F-1 visa. However, F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions.

    There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. Your academic adviser can assist you with thus.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,291 answers this week

3,646 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,291 answers this week

3,646 attorneys answering