How to convert a provisional patent application to a non-provisional patent application?

Asked 11 months ago - Oakland, CA

Hi,

I submitted a provisional patent application a month ago and I want to convert it to a non-provisional patent application, what is the procedure? Can I modify/enhance the claims in the non-provisional patent application? If not, how can I fix it?

Thanks,
David

1. Mark Raafat Malek

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Hi David - this is a somewhat complicated process. In order to claim the benefit of the filing date of your provisional patent application, your claims must be fully supported by your specification. Claims drafting is very difficult, so I highly recommend engaging a patent attorney to draft your claims, at the very least. Drafting the claims is going to be very dependent on what you submitted for your provisional patent application. It is possible for you to submit claims that are new, i.e., not disclosed in your provisional patent application, but you will not get the benefit of the filing date of the provisional patent application then. Check out the links below - they may be of some help to you. Many patent attorneys will give you a free telephone consultation. Try to call someone and see if you can get some assistance that way.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.
  2. George Ellis Corson IV

Pro

4

Answered . Patent Law is very technical, and very difficult. You should hire an Attorney.

I represent Employers, but I can recommend Worker Attorneys in So Cal if you ask.
  3. Igor Shoiket

2

Answered . Yes under most circumstances you should able to modify the claims but without assistance of a patent attorney, your chances of getting a useful patent are greatly diminished.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Gerry J. Elman

Pro

3

1

Answered . David: If you are hoping to derive any monetary benefit from patenting your invention, my advice is to hire a competent patent attorney to handle this task. Not only is patent drafting and prosecution exceedingly technical, the rules are changing continually. It's like trying to climb Mount Everest during an earthquake. We patent attorneys are investing incredible amounts of time and money striving to keep abreast of these changes and to develop a new set of Best Practices, as the playing field continues to shift.

If, on the other hand, you are interested only in putting a patent application number on your resume, you could get some guidance from a copy of "David" Pressman's book from Nolo Press entitled "Patent It Yourself" and then file whatever documentation seems pertinent.

The specific answer to whether you "can" modify/enhance the disclosure would depend on various factors including the existence of any prior disclosures or even offers to sell an embodiment of your invention and whether or when other "prior art" exists. The old principles that applied before Congress enacted the America Invents Act seem not applicable to your situation, so it would be wise to consult a professional who demonstrates familiarity with the latest updates.

5. Mario Sergio Golab

3

Answered . Yes, it is legally and practically possible, with some date limitations, but unfortunately it is not a layman's job. You need a patent attorney.
    As a matter of fact, if you wrote the provisional yourself, you may find it more difficult to file a non-provisional application.
    good luck

6. James Scott Anderson

2

1

Answered . As far as modifying or enhancing the application -- adding more detail and/or new subject matter -- you have several options available, and you should work with an attorney. In general, it is usually NOT a good idea to "convert" the provisional into a non-provisional. Instead, it is almost always best to "claim priority" to the provisional.