How to collect money from a company after default judgment

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

In a corp - corp agreement, the other company did not pay for services and we went to the court and got the default judgment. Now, how do we collect the money from them ?.. we do not have details about their bank accounts and assets. Also what if they are keeping low balances in their accounts.

Thanks for your advice and appreciate your help!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Serve a Citation to Discover Assets on the corporate president or registered agent. Locate and freeze the assets. Then seek a turnover order.

  2. Terrence Michael Fogarty Jr.

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Goldstein, and you can likely find all the information you need to accomplish this without an attorney; however, depending on the amount of the judgment, you may want to hire an attorney to handle execution for you or at least consult so that you follow all of the necessarily procedures.

  3. Glenn Tyler Stevenson

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . I agree with both of the above answers and concur on the need to follow the correct procedure when using the citation to discover assets. The state statute regarding service of citations to discover assets was amended in July of 2012 to require personal service on judgment debtors (as opposed to service by certified mail). If you are not clear on the procedure, you may want to consult an attorney.

    This answer is not intended to provide legal advice or create or imply an attorney-client relationship. This... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,548 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,548 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering