Skip to main content

How to collect fee for self, (3rd disinterested party), when dividing up unclaimed property of deceased amongst heirs?

Palestine, TX |

I have a close friend who found about $700 in unclaimed moneys (thru Texas Unclaimed Property) that belonged to his deceased grandfather. I, as 3rd disinterested party, have spent hrs and money on research and documents to help claim said property. Legally, it's to be divided 1/3 to son, 1/3 to daughter, and 1/6 to each of two grandchildren, whom's mother is deceased . Most of family is estranged, and it will be difficult to collect my 15% fee, plus expenses, from each person. The comptrollers office said they need all persons addresses to send out each person's check, so they will receive their free money and not bother with paying me. Is there a way to have my fee cut from the top and sent to myself; and how?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This is simple. No. You don't get a fee, not off the top or otherwise. What makes you think you get a 15% fee> Did you have a contract with every heir in which they all agreed to pay this fee? No, of course you didn't.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.


If you have a contract, even a verbal agreement, with one of the heirs to perform the search, then you may be able to recover from that person. But you will not be able to get anything from the people who were not part of the deal you made.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer