Skip to main content

How to close LLC in Alabama

Birmingham, AL |
Filed under: Starting an LLC

I (foolishly) filed to open a LLC in Alabama in 2004, planning to be an independent consultant. In 2005 I accepted employment so that meant the LLC was closed. I paid 2004 and 2005 Alabama Privilege Tax. Now, in 2009, the State is saying back tax is due. I do not have a business, and the LLC has no assets. What should I do to get Alabama off my back? I do not believe I owe them any tax as I do not have a business.

Attorney Answers 1


You should consult with a local accountant/attorney who may be able to play intermediary. Unfortunately, when closing an LLC, many states can and will demand the payment of monies that may not have been paid previously. That being said perhaps a settlement can be had given the fact the LLC was not operating for several years.

I hope this helps.

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute general or specific legal advice, nor create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics