How to clear FBI criminal background for immigration purposes?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I was pulled over driving a semi truck without having an authorization to work in the states four years ago. They detained me for 2 weeks until I posted a bond. Immigration case was opened because I overstayed my J1 visa for more than a year. Immigration Judge granted me voluntary departure and I left the country right away. From my home country I sent a request for a FBI criminal background check and got the letter with no criminal records but a statement that I was 'Deportable alien' . Since I was granted a voluntary departure, does it mean that my case was dismissed? If so, Is there a way to expunge this record? Any advise would be appreciated.

1. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

2

Answered . This is more properly an Immigration question than a criminal defense question. I will change the category so it will come to the attention of more Immigration lawyers if they would have a different view than already expressed.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . The answer to your first question is "yes".
    Unfortunately an expungement is considered "worthless" for immigration purposes.

3. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

3

Answered . You cannot expunge an immigration order. You were ordered deported if you did not comply with the voluntary departure order.