How to clear a bench warrant in? NV

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I was charged a misdemeanor for writing a bad check. I was ordered to pay restitution and during one of the status check my lawyer didn't get the proof of payment that I sent to his office before going to court and now I was told that I have a bench warrant. I cant get further information from my lawyer coz he want another $300 to clear the warrant. I rather pay off the $1800 than spent another $300 for his negligence. I live in WA and want to do resolve this on my own. i have no idea if there is a bail amount. how can I find out without using my previous lawyer?

1. Ryan Alexander

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with George. Call the court department first and see if you can have the clerk check whether your restitution was in fact paid before the last hearing.

Was the restitution paid in full, or is that the $1800 you're talking about? Was it supposed to be paid in full? You will probably have to have someone appear to clear the warrant even if your case is done.

Clark County, NV practitioner.
  2. George G. Trachtman

1

Answered . Since you are represented by a lawyer its best that you try to communicate with that lawyer and explained the situation. If you want to hire another attorney, another attorney would likewise have to file a motion in court and probably charge about the same amount. You can always file your own motion to place on calendar but that may be difficult since you live in WA. Depending on what court the matter is in, you can always contact the court and find out information regarding if there is a bail and what amount its at. However, keep in mind that just because you make a payment does not automatically remove a bench warrant. Thus, make sure it gets cleared. Again, I would recommend speaking with your attorney and explaining again to the attorney why you think its his/her fault.

3. Maysoun Akram Fletcher

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues and emphasize Mr. Alexander's advice to contact the department your case is with and ask what you may do to close your case and vacate your warrant. Also, you should speak with your attorney.