How to claim your pet and get income tax

New York, NY |

I was told you can claim your pet and some say you can't. I was wondering which one is it because I have a 11yr old dog that I had since 1 month and she is expensive with vet/insurance bills if there is a way to get some money refunded I would love to know.

Deducting pet expenses is usually something that you cannot do. However, there are a few animal related expenses you may be able to claim (consult an accountant or tax lawyer before you tax any position related to your taxes and deductibility):

Moving Expenses: If you’ve moved recently for a job, you can claim the cost of moving your pet.

Donations to Pet Charities: The same rules apply to charitable donations whether or not they are animal related, so you can deduct donations to non-profit pet charities.

Animal Business Expenses: Most people can’t deduct animal expenses as a business expense. However, if you operate a business in which you have legitimate animal expenses, you may be able to deduct them. For example, if your business is training dogs to perform tricks in front of an audience, then you might be able to deduct the expenses associated with maintaining the dogs.

Pet Food Deduction: If you are itemizing, and you plan to use the sales tax deduction instead of the income tax deduction you may be able to deduct the sales tax paid on pet food.

This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party, any partnership, investment plan, arrangement, legal structure or other transaction addressed herein.

2. I don't think there is a pet deduction like there is a child deduction.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. The simple answer is no, you cannot take a deduction for your pet.

This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced law ONLY in LOUISIANA and answers to questions from other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state.

Business topics