How to claim your pet and get income tax

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

I was told you can claim your pet and some say you can't. I was wondering which one is it because I have a 11yr old dog that I had since 1 month and she is expensive with vet/insurance bills if there is a way to get some money refunded I would love to know.

1. Richard Albert Luthmann

Pro

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . Deducting pet expenses is usually something that you cannot do. However, there are a few animal related expenses you may be able to claim (consult an accountant or tax lawyer before you tax any position related to your taxes and deductibility):

Moving Expenses: If you’ve moved recently for a job, you can claim the cost of moving your pet.

Donations to Pet Charities: The same rules apply to charitable donations whether or not they are animal related, so you can deduct donations to non-profit pet charities.

Animal Business Expenses: Most people can’t deduct animal expenses as a business expense. However, if you operate a business in which you have legitimate animal expenses, you may be able to deduct them. For example, if your business is training dogs to perform tricks in front of an audience, then you might be able to deduct the expenses associated with maintaining the dogs.

Pet Food Deduction: If you are itemizing, and you plan to use the sales tax deduction instead of the income tax deduction you may be able to deduct the sales tax paid on pet food.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

1

Answered . I don't think there is a pet deduction like there is a child deduction.

3. Brian Joseph Munson

4

1

Answered . The simple answer is no, you cannot take a deduction for your pet.

4. Christopher Michael Larson

1

Answered . You cannot deduct expenses for your dog in the manner you describe.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney Seattle, WA
    Bellevue Tax Lawyer
    Everett Tax Lawyer
    Auburn Tax Attorney
    Redmond Tax Attorney
    Seattle IRS Office
    Estate Planning Attorney
    Seattle Wills Lawyer
    Seattle Trusts Attorney
    Seattle Probate Lawyer