How to change my full name + get my stepdad's?

Port Washington, NY |

So my mother came to the US around 20 years ago and I stayed in the Dominican Republic until she brought me here, around 4 and a half years ago. We're both green card holders. She just applied for her citizenship and I still need to wait 1 more year to apply. I know my biological father but he left my mom before i was born and came to the US. he never gave me money or just called me a few times a year and always lied to me when I needed something. I am now 22 years old and I want to drop his last name and get my stepfather's because hes been doing more than what my real father ever did,change my first name because of a silly thing but i want to change it anyways and drop my middle name. How can I do this? During my citizenship process or after or how should I proceed? Thank you

If you wait to do this when you file for citizenship, you can do it when you file your N-400
It is usually the easiest way to do this

For more immigration information, please visit

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

thank you. ill do that.

You can do it when asking for citizenship or you can go to a state court and change it that way now.

I agree

Reza Athari
Attorney at Law
Certified Specialist - Immigration and Nationality Law
State Bar of California - Board of Legal Specialization

Main office: Las Vegas, Nevada
Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

3365 Pepper Lane, Suite 102
Las Vegas, NV 89120
Telephone: (702) 727-7777
Fax: (702) 458-8508
Toll free: (800) 565-2030

Barstow, California
Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

309 East Mountain View Street, Suite 104
Barstow, CA 92311
Telephone: (760) 957-7220
Fax: (760) 957-7396

St. George, Utah
Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

1036 East Red Hills Parkway, Suite D
St. George, UT 84770
Telephone: (435) 656-1136
Fax: (435) 656-1145

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

525 W 5300 S Suite 150
Murray, UT 84123
Telephone: (801) 262-LAW7
Fax: (801) 281-9603
If you have a SKYPE account, we may now video-conference or conduct a conference call on the computer from and to anywhere in the world for free. More information may be found at

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody