How to change my full name + get my stepdad's?

Asked over 2 years ago - Port Washington, NY

So my mother came to the US around 20 years ago and I stayed in the Dominican Republic until she brought me here, around 4 and a half years ago. We're both green card holders. She just applied for her citizenship and I still need to wait 1 more year to apply. I know my biological father but he left my mom before i was born and came to the US. he never gave me money or just called me a few times a year and always lied to me when I needed something. I am now 22 years old and I want to drop his last name and get my stepfather's because hes been doing more than what my real father ever did,change my first name because of a silly thing but i want to change it anyways and drop my middle name. How can I do this? During my citizenship process or after or how should I proceed? Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Neil Ian Fleischer


    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you wait to do this when you file for citizenship, you can do it when you file your N-400
    It is usually the easiest way to do this

    For more immigration information, please visit

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  2. Robert West

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can do it when asking for citizenship or you can go to a state court and change it that way now.

  3. Reza Athari


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I agree

    Reza Athari
    Attorney at Law
    Certified Specialist - Immigration and Nationality Law
    State Bar of California - Board of Legal Specialization

    Main office: Las Vegas, Nevada
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

    3365 Pepper Lane, Suite 102
    Las Vegas, NV 89120
    Telephone: (702) 727-7777
    Fax: (702) 458-8508
    Toll free: (800) 565-2030

    Barstow, California
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

    309 East Mountain View Street, Suite 104
    Barstow, CA 92311
    Telephone: (760) 957-7220
    Fax: (760) 957-7396

    St. George, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

    1036 East Red Hills Parkway, Suite D
    St. George, UT 84770
    Telephone: (435) 656-1136
    Fax: (435) 656-1145

    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

    525 W 5300 S Suite 150
    Murray, UT 84123
    Telephone: (801) 262-LAW7
    Fax: (801) 281-9603
    If you have a SKYPE account, we may now video-conference or conduct a conference call on the computer from and to anywhere in the world for free. More information may be found at

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,244 answers this week

2,322 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,244 answers this week

2,322 attorneys answering