How to cancel CR6 status? Can I do it on my own?

Venice, FL |

I got married with my first wife and started my paper work to become a US citizen, I recieved my 2 year green card and then me and my wife got divorced. 2 years later I remarried and I have a child I went to reapply with my new wife and immigration told me I needed to cancel my current status that was with my previous wife the CR6 status. I wanted to know if I could go to immigration court my self and cancel it.

You need to submit form I-751 to the USCIS. Make sure to thoroughly document the bona fides of your previous marriage.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Your question is unclear. To remove the conditions on your green card, you would need to file the I-751 with evidence that the marriage through which yo got the green card was a bona fide marriage.

You really should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly, particularly since you mention immigration court. A misstep in immigration court will get you deported.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

You do not actually "cancel" your current conditional status. You apply for have the conditions removed. Since you apparently failed to file the petition on time (prior to the expiration of your 2-year green card), you would have to file the petition late with an explanation as to the reason for filing late and requesting the removal of your conditional status based on a good faith marriage exception to the jont filing requirement. You cannot file anything based on your current marriage. You have to file based on the bona fide nature of your previous marriage. This is an area where you would certainly benefit from professional advice and guidance from an immigraiton lawyer.