How to cancel CR6 status? Can I do it on my own?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Venice, FL

I got married with my first wife and started my paper work to become a US citizen, I recieved my 2 year green card and then me and my wife got divorced. 2 years later I remarried and I have a child I went to reapply with my new wife and immigration told me I needed to cancel my current status that was with my previous wife the CR6 status. I wanted to know if I could go to immigration court my self and cancel it.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to submit form I-751 to the USCIS. Make sure to thoroughly document the bona fides of your previous marriage.

    Please see

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Your question is unclear. To remove the conditions on your green card, you would need to file the I-751 with evidence that the marriage through which yo got the green card was a bona fide marriage.

    You really should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly, particularly since you mention immigration court. A misstep in immigration court will get you deported.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts... more
  3. Ralf D. Wiedemann

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You do not actually "cancel" your current conditional status. You apply for have the conditions removed. Since you apparently failed to file the petition on time (prior to the expiration of your 2-year green card), you would have to file the petition late with an explanation as to the reason for filing late and requesting the removal of your conditional status based on a good faith marriage exception to the jont filing requirement. You cannot file anything based on your current marriage. You have to file based on the bona fide nature of your previous marriage. This is an area where you would certainly benefit from professional advice and guidance from an immigraiton lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,614 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary