How to bring a man to justice

San Dimas, CA |

a man punched my girlfriendin la today. the cops wont arrest the man because a friend of hers threw a show at him. what can I do to get him arrested

I just got the call from a crying girlfriend so I jumped online and posted this, I'm sorry I didn't fix spelling errors. But your critiques are not helpful or wanted Joseph Farina, so please keep them to yourself.

At this point, once the police have left the scene and not arrested him or booked any evidence attendant to an arrest (photos, etc.), the possibilities of arrest or criminal prosecution are pretty much zip. Yes, you can complain to Internal Affairs if you like. But the prospects of any discipline of even the slightest degree being imposed against street officers for using their discretion NOT to arrest someone is ... zip. That conduct is not in violation of departmental rules. On these facts seeking a restraining order is not likely to succeed.

It's not a perfect world and the right thing doesn't always happen. And sometimes there is nothing practical or effective to do about it.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Apparently not much,since the police refused to arrest the man. Maybe ask to speak to the police department supervisor or watch commander.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Threw a show at him? Huh? What kid of show was it? A comedy show? A movie show? I have enough trouble with the law, much less understanding street lingo.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

I agree that you could go to the watch commander on duty however they will typically defer to the decision of the police at the scene. If this man is consistently bothering your girlfriend you could consider asking the court for a Temporary Restraining Order ("TRO"). Good luck.

Contributions on AVVO.com in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.