Skip to main content

How to bring a lawsuit against an attorney for malicious prosecution?

Columbus, OH |
Filed under: Judgment lien

Attorney had a judgment lien for child of previous owner of the home we purchased . He attached the lien after owner died but before we purchased the home . It was $ 500 . 00 from a debt from 1979 . His current lien was over 10 , 000 . 00 He brought foreclosure suit on our home to collect on this debt . Lost in the local court . Took it to the appeals court and lost . Took it to the State Supreme court and they would not hear the case . This put us a lot for about 2 years .

The attorney had assumed the the son would inherit the home but the mother had a reverse mortgage that was as much as the value of the home. So no equity remained for him to collect. He should have done this through the estate. The attorney represented the son in 1979 and the son never paid his bill. Attorney got a default judgement. Son was out of state many years. Revived judgement. Applied lien as soon as mother died. This seams to be the way this attorney does his collections.

Attorney Answers 4


Contact your state bar association and file a complaint if you feel he/she acted unethically. Then contact an attorney and discuss the possibility of a claim for damages.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


Contact the Ohio Bar Association and lodge a complaint.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Contact disciplinary board of state bar.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Speak to a local atty asap. I dont know mal pros law in your state. Generally, it requires that you prevailed on the merits. Also, it may require that you prove that no reasoanble atty would have taken the action the atty took in the case, based upon the law in existence, and it wasnt reasonable to argue for an extension of the law in the case. Or, if you can show the action was taken for improper motive. Not an easy standard.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics