How to break the lease agreement.

Milwaukee, WI |

I signed a lease for one year in the month of May 2012 in Wisconsin state. Due to my project ramp down I moved to other State.
I checked with leasing office in Wisconsin they saying there is no lease breakage option in the lease policy. They ask me to pay every month rent till re rent. I paid last two months rent still they are not able to re rent. Due to winter season it’s very tough to re-rent .
I am not in a position to pay rent till next year. What is the possibility to breaking the lease.

1. If you break your lease early, a landlord has a duty to mitigate damages. What this means is that the landlord must take reasonable steps to rerent the premises in a timely manner. Once the landlord finds another tenant, your obligation ends are you not liable to anymore rent. You may still be liable for damages done during your tenancy.

Legal disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is formed by this communication. Any recommendation/information given through Avvo should be considered only as opinion.

2. I agree with Attorney Kluck's answer, above. Please note, however, that there are some illegal provisions which render a Wisconsin residential lease void and unenforceable by the landlord. Additionally, a landlord has the burden of proving reasonable efforts to re-rent the premises and mitigate damages. It may be worthwhile to have your lease and situation reviewed by an experienced landlord-tenant lawyer.

I recommend that you contact an attorney to review the specific facts of your matter and provide you a legal assessment. Please note that this response DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship.