How to break a lease.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

We moved in our new home, found out we had roaches, then a few days later found out we have bed bugs.

1. Donald Corky Eby

Pro

3

Answered . You may have a Warranty of Habitability defense. But, you need to read your lease very closely and comply with notice requirements of the Warranty Statute, or possibly self-help to remedy the infestation problem. I sugguest that you read my AVVO Legal Guide about the Warranty of Habitability.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Mr. Eby is dead on with his analysis. You ought to sit down with him to consult and make sure you bring your lease.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . These conditions do not necessarily warrant the breaking of a lease. Inform your landlord of these problems in writing and request that he remediate them. If he fails to do so within a reasonable time then you may have other options available to you which may invlude going to court. You must also look to the terms of your written lease to see if it addresses which party is responsible for pest control.

4. Rebecca Mccormick Pepin

Answered . Please do contact an attorney - many give initial free consultations. Being successful in breaking a lease without any repercussions is partially dependent upon you taking all the required steps, such as notifying your landlord of the problem, and giving a reasonable period of time for the problem to be fixed. This doesn't mean that you have to live with the bugs during that time (ewwww.) - but you do need to step through this process carefully.
    Good luck!