Skip to main content

How to beat a measure 57 theft charge that i didnt do?

Portland, OR |

i was charged with theft one for alledgely selling stolen merchandise. i didint do it what do i do?

Attorney Answers 3


I would say it would be next to impossible for you to do so. If I were you, I would hire an attorney and let them approach it for you. BM57 is a tough one with some complex and potentially disastrous outcomes. Don't go this alone and don't try and beat it. By posting questions like this, it's clear you're not sure even wear to start. Hire an attorney who knows this area of law backward and forward. If you need some recommendations, feel free to contact our office. Also, there is no way on earth someone could answer your question in any usable way.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You hire a criminal defense attorney with a lot of experience with this kind of charge. You tell that attorney everything you know. You work with that attorney to prepare a defense, and take all of that attorney's advice to heart. That does not guarantee a win by any means, but not having someone experienced representing you will practically guarantee a loss.

That's about all anyone can tell you here. You can look around on Avvo for attorneys with Measure 57 experience on their profiles. Alternatively, you can call the Oregon State Bar Referral Service at 503-684-3763 or toll-free in Oregon at 800-452-7636.

Good luck!

Dear Asker: This answer does not constitute legal advice, and I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship is established between me and you by my answering your question. You can receive general information about the law here on Avvo to help you understand it better, but if you want actual legal advice, call an attorney for a private, confidential consultation.

Mark as helpful


The constitution of the United States, as well as Oregon's constitution guarantees you the right of a trial when you are charged with a crime. If you did not commit the crime with which you are charged, and if you wish to exercise your constitutional rights, you request that the case be scheduled for Trial. At that point, it is up to the State to prove you are guilty of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt.

With this being said, unless you are legally trained, taking a criminal case to trial on your own is a very bad idea. If you want to have any realistic chance of prevailing, then you need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney who is familiar with this type of case, and who deals with the criminal courts on a regular basis. This is not something you should handle on your own.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics