How to authenticate emails for restraining order case

La Jolla, CA |

The evidence is based on email submissions to the court. The opposing party has submitted bunch of emails, which were translated online with some translation mistakes. I also noticed alteration of my word in that email. My question is how to authenticate my emails so that just in case if the opposing party decides to say that none of them are real, I can prove authentication.

1. Authenticating emails can be difficult due to the fact that most e-mail systems allow a person forwarding an e-mail to edit the message being forwarded. Such alteration wouldn't be discernible to the recipient. A few ways in which an email can be authenticated are affidavits, deposition of witnesses, or if the email came from a "unique" account such as a work email address that includes the company's domain, or a school email address (.edu).

This is not legal advice and a client-attorney relationship is not created as a result of this communication. For a free consultation call 619-752-0125 or email at ben.aguilar.law@gmail.com. Se habla Español.

2. The best and cheapest way to authenticate your emails is to print them out and attached them as exhibits to your signed declaration in which you swear under the penalty of perjury that the exhibits are true and correct copies of the emails you received on so and so date, so and so time, from your email account xxxx@xx.com. This may or may not be sufficient for the court.

****The opinion above is not intended to be legal advice and absolutely does not create any attorney-client relationship between its author and the readers. Please consult an attorney for information or advice specific to your legal issue.**** Regal Law Office APC 21151 S. Western Ave. Suite 225 Torrance, CA 90501 310-212-7109

Domestic violence topics