How to argue against an Oregon speeding ticket, with a Washington state dl?

Asked over 2 years ago - Bellevue, WA

I got a speeding ticket of 90 mph at a section of 65mph. I don't believe I was driving that fast -- probably at 85. how do I argue this out of state speeding ticket?

1. Jon Michael Zimmerman

2

1

Answered . It is irrelevant that you have a Washington license, and Oregon does share information with Washington, so you want to try to keep this off your record and save money in insurance while keeping your driving record clean.

Every state handles these differently. Going "only 85" - 20 over the limit - is not going to be a good defense. What you need is someone who can present your best defenses, and unfortunately you provide the citation but nothing else. An experienced traffic attorney in Oregon will be able to look at items beyond the citation you received so that technical and substantive issues can be explored on your behalf. Contact an Oregon attorney in the area of Oregon in which you were cited.

2. William N. Chambers

1

1

Answered . Find a lawyer in the jurisdiction that you can contest the speeding ticket and see if you have any defense. If you were going in excess of 20 mph over the speed limit you are lucky you were not charged criminally with reckless driving. But if you do this pro se, do not say I may have been speeding, but only 20 over not 25.