How to apply for asylum, my county at war and I am undocumented right now

Asked 12 months ago - Houston, TX

I came to US on visa 4 years ago,went to school for a while then overstayed my visa , I am from Syria ,my country at war right now, the whole family left my parents house and they live all over the place ,I lost cousins and family members ..Can I apply for asylum in here ? I have a couple of friends who left Syria to South America ,Should I go there and then apply for Asylum while I am outside the country ? I did apply for TPS recently and didn't get any response

1. Haroen Calehr

Pro

1

1

Answered . You ought to qualify for TPS and it can take up to 6 months. Have you been fingerprinted yet? On asylum, one has to apply within one (1) year of coming to the US. One of the few exceptions is that there are "changed country conditions" i.e. things have changed and deteriorated in your native country of Syria since you left. That's a given but you also need to be able to show how the civil war and strive is not just generalized to your entire country BUT you specifically, i.e. so you "may" qualify if you, personally are afraid of returning to Syria for specific reasons based on 5 specific grounds, e.g. political asylum, social group, religious, etc BUT not simply because things are bad in Syria. You should definitely consult with competent immigration counsel. At least you still will probably qualify for TPS so nothing to loose if you apply for asylum BUT don't rush into it AND clearly have your particular situation and facts analyzed by competent counsel BEFORE you make a hasty decision.

2. Pablo Husayn Nossa

1

Answered . Yes, you could apply for asylum based on changed country conditions. Consult a qualified immigration attorney.

As for your TPS, when did you apply? It should get granted assuming you were otherwise eligible at the time.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

Answered . Start by talking to an experienced immigration attorney locally.

4. Boris Alexander Palant

Answered . You can apply for asylum only when you are in US. Certainly you may claim changed conditions in your country. A competent immigration lawyer is a must. You still have the burden of proof.