How to apply for asylum, my county at war and I am undocumented right now

Asked 12 months ago - Houston, TX

I came to US on visa 4 years ago,went to school for a while then overstayed my visa , I am from Syria ,my country at war right now, the whole family left my parents house and they live all over the place ,I lost cousins and family members ..Can I apply for asylum in here ? I have a couple of friends who left Syria to South America ,Should I go there and then apply for Asylum while I am outside the country ? I did apply for TPS recently and didn't get any response

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You ought to qualify for TPS and it can take up to 6 months. Have you been fingerprinted yet? On asylum, one has to apply within one (1) year of coming to the US. One of the few exceptions is that there are "changed country conditions" i.e. things have changed and deteriorated in your native country of Syria since you left. That's a given but you also need to be able to show how the civil war and strive is not just generalized to your entire country BUT you specifically, i.e. so you "may" qualify if you, personally are afraid of returning to Syria for specific reasons based on 5 specific grounds, e.g. political asylum, social group, religious, etc BUT not simply because things are bad in Syria. You should definitely consult with competent immigration counsel. At least you still will probably qualify for TPS so nothing to loose if you apply for asylum BUT don't rush into it AND clearly have your particular situation and facts analyzed by competent counsel BEFORE you make a hasty decision.

  2. Pablo Husayn Nossa

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you could apply for asylum based on changed country conditions. Consult a qualified immigration attorney.

    As for your TPS, when did you apply? It should get granted assuming you were otherwise eligible at the time.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Start by talking to an experienced immigration attorney locally.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  4. Boris Alexander Palant

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You can apply for asylum only when you are in US. Certainly you may claim changed conditions in your country. A competent immigration lawyer is a must. You still have the burden of proof.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Applying for asylum in the United States

Asylum is a form of protection offered to people who fear persecution in their home country and are in the United States or an entry port.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,751 answers this week

3,170 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,751 answers this week

3,170 attorneys answering